- At least once a week, drain water from garbage cans, buckets, toys, flowerpots, wading pools, pet dishes and other objects that collect water.
- Change water in birdbaths at least once a week.
- Keep gutters cleaned out, and repair any tears in door and window screens.
- Wear long-sleeved shirts, long pants and light colors outdoors.
- Spray clothing with repellents containing DEET or picaridin, making sure to follow the directions on the label.
- Look for products containing the active ingredient methoprene or Bti (Bacillus thuringiensis israelensis) to place in birdbaths or ponds, to prevent mosquitoes from developing.
For more information on mosquito prevention, contact the County Vector Control office at 314-727-3097 or visit the Health Department’s website at: www.stlouisco.com/HealthandWellness