Adult Abuse Information

Adult Abuse Information

Missouri’s Adult Abuse Act provides protective relief for victims of domestic violence and stalking. This page contains resources, information about abuse and some answers to frequently asked questions about Ex Parte’s Full Order’s of Protection.

Abuse Includes: Beating  *  Choking  *  Shoving  *  Hair Pulling  *  Harassment  *  Denial of Access of Money  *  Threats of Suicide  *  Threats of Physical Harm  *  Slapping  *  Punching 
Sexual Assault  *  Name Calling  *  Verbal Put-Downs  *  Humiliation  *  Isolation  *  Stalking

Area Shelters
  • COMTREA 1-877-266-8732
  • St. Martha’s Hall 314-533-1313
  • Weinman Shelter 314-423-1117
  • Women’s Safe House 314-772-4535
Housing Resources
  • St. Louis County 314-771-3555
  • St. Louis City 314-771-2273
  • RAVEN for abusive men 314-645-2075
  • Women’s Self Help Center 314-531-2003
Ex Parte Order of Protection-Frequently asked Questions

Do I qualify for an Ex-Parte?

Age: Both parties must be 17 years or older or emancipated Relationship: You must now be, or formerly have been any of the following: *Married, *Related by blood or marriage, *Living together, *Have a child in common, *Dating, or *the victim of Abuse: You must have been abused.

Having the abusers address or place of employment is also important. For you to obtain a Full Order of Protection the respondent must be served.

Where Can I file at?
You can file in (A) the county where you live (B) the county where the abuser lives (C) the county where the abuse happened.
In St. Louis County contact St. Louis County Courthouse, 7900 Carondelet, Clayton, Mo.
Phone 314-615-4725   Hours 8 AM to 6 PM  Mon.-Fri.

How much will this cost?
There is not a charge for an Ex-Parte Order of Protection

Can I file if I still want the respondent to see his / her children?
Yes! You can even put on the form no communication “except in regards to the children”. It is recommend using a third party for all visitation exchanges.

Procedures for filing an Ex-Parte.

You must fill out a petition for an order of protection. This is a four page form telling the judge why you believe you need an order of protection. Petitions can be obtained at the Eureka Police Department, the courthouse or online at under court forms find Adult Abuse Forms.

You are the petitioner; the abuser/stalker is the respondent. You DO NOT have to list your current address on the petition if you don’t want the respondent to know it. The respondent will receive a copy of this petition. You will need to give a specific date of the most recent abuse and describe it. Basically what has the respondent done to make you afraid for your safety?

You will need to describe why you continue to be afraid of the respondent. This would be the appropriate place to tell the judge if this was not an isolated incident or why it might continue to occur if you do not take steps to stop the abuse/stalking.

Please do not sign the form until you are at the courthouse in front of the clerk.

The clerk will present the petition to the Judge. If the Judge finds there is an immediate and present danger of abuse, the court will issue an Ex-Parte Order of Protection. If the Judge does not find evidence of immediate and present danger, you will be issued a Notice of Hearing.

The difference between an Ex-Parte Order of Protection and a Notice of Hearing is that an Ex-Parte prohibits the respondent from certain acts; a Notice of Hearing is simply a court date to appear in front of the Judge.

Once the Ex-Parte or Notice of Hearing is issued, the petitioner will be given copies of it. Please read it carefully. It can contain custody of children or other special orders. It also has a court date when the petitioner must appear.

Keep your Ex-Parte with you at all times. You can make extra copies if you need one for your child’s school/daycare or your employer/landlord. If the respondent violates the order, call the police wherever you are.

The Ex-Parte or Notice of Hearing will need to be served. A law enforcement officer typically serves this to the respondent. If the respondent is at your home and you need them removed immediately, contact your local police department for service. If the respondent is not served prior to your court date, you will still need to appear in court. Typically a new date will be issued.